Visit planet Earth this Spring Break! From March 6 – April 4, travel around YMCA of the Rockies and discover planet Earth. You may not have been able to travel far and wide this past year, but you can still discover the magic of our natural world through our family-friendly activities and programs.
Book your cabin or lodge room to secure your passport to adventure! Lodge rooms start as low as $89 per night (two breakfasts/night included!) or cabins starting at $109 per night. Book online or call our reservationists at 888-613-9622.
All activities will be operated in a safe and healthy manner in alignment with our public health ordinances from county and state officials. For more information about YMCA of the Rockies practices and procedures for maintaining clean and safe facilities, please visit our website.
Planet Earth Guided Programs and Activities – March 6 – April 4
- Leave No Trace – Learn how to protect the environment while you are out in nature.
- Worm Composting – Build a home for red wigglers, the composting worm capable of breaking down all of your organic kitchen waste.
- Mountain Exploration – Did you know that the Y was once home to a giant glacier? Learn how the glaciers and streams have eroded our grounds to their current form and visit the edge of an ancient ice sheet.
- Dig Deep! – Start a plant indoors from seed and watch it develop roots, stems, and leaves!
- Dino Discovery – Learn about the rich history of Dinosaurs in Colorado and get ready to put your paleontology skills to the test!
- Salt Dough Necklaces – Paint a small earth or nature inspired necklace charm!
- Archaeology Walk – Journey along with our Museum staff to discover the earliest residents of the Rocky Mountains.
- From Ice House to Ice Box– Exploring the History of icemaking at the Y. In a program inspired by Disney’s Frozen, come learn about the history of ice cutting and the “icemen” of YMCA of the Rockies. Revisit the story of our favorite ice cutting duo, Kristoff and Sven, as we compare their adventures to the daily lives of the early guests and staff at the Y.
Planet Earth Self Guided Activities
- Passport to Adventure – Pick up a passport to adventure and “travel” around YMCA of the Rockies.
- Mark it on the Map – Show us where you’re traveling next on our interactive world map in Sweet Memorial.
- Snow Paint – Pick up a snow paint bottle from Sweet Memorial and take it outside to make artwork in the snow.
- Frozen Suncatcher Kit – Make a frozen suncatcher using materials provided at the Sweet Memorial Program Building.
- Winter Bird Garland Kit – Make bird watching more fun with this at home bird feeder kit.
- Rent a Free Outdoor Ed Kit – Stop by the Sweet Memorial Program Building and rent a fun and free Outdoor Education Kit to do a self-guided ecology class with your family.
- Ice Skating -Rent ice skates for free and take a twirl on a frozen Dorsey Lake. (weather permitting)
- Sledding– Enjoy sledding at the YMCA sledding hill located near the entrance of the YMCA. (weather permitting)
Enjoy additional YMCA activities including the swimming pool, indoor climbing wall, museum, family programs and more.
For more information about activities during spring break, call our program department at 970-586-3341 x1104.