Julie Watkins, President/CEO of YMCA of the Rockies has been elected to serve on the Board of Directors for YMCA of the USA (Y-USA). Y-USA is the national resource office for 2,700 YMCAs across the country. The Y-USA board is composed of 27 members who set strategic direction and policy to guide the national office’s work to increase the capacity of YMCAs to strengthen community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Of those 27 members, 5 are YMCA CEOs. The remainder are executives from business and higher education.
“I am proud to serve on this board along with individuals committed to the mission of the YMCA nationwide as we strive to advance the collective impact of the YMCA movement,” said Watkins.
Julie has had a 28-year career with the YMCA movement, serving as the Vice President of Association Advancement with the YMCA of the Rockies prior to becoming President/CEO. Under her leadership, YMCA of the Rockies serves over 220,000 individuals annually and over 2,000 staff and volunteers. She started her service to the YMCA movement during her college years, working or volunteering at YMCA of the Rockies, Sioux YMCA and YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly.
Outside of her work at the YMCA, Julie has served as a board member of the Grand Foundation, as a Chair of Eternal Hills’ personnel committee, as a Chair and member of the Grand County Colorado Tourism Board, and on the Winter Park-Fraser Valley Sales & Marketing Council. She holds a Bachelor of Arts from Iowa State University.
Watkins joins a group of eight new Y-USA board members:
- Carla Chavarria, Sr. Vice President & CHRO, AMC Theatres
- Diane Dewbrey, Director of MBIA, Inc. and Treasurer, YMCA of Greater Seattle
- Michael DiMedio, J.D., CPC, CEO & Co-Founder, Lotus Growth Partners and Vice Chairman, YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago
- Matthew Furman, J.D., Chief Communications and Public Affairs Officer, Best Buy
- Walter Glover, EVP/COO, U.S. Olympic Endowment and Immediate Past Chair, YMCA of the Pikes Peak Region
- Valarie Gomez, CEO, YMCA of the West San Gabriel Valley
- George Leis, President, Montecito Bank & Trust and Board Member, Channel Islands YMCA
- Julie Watkins, President/CEO, YMCA of the Rockies
“Strong volunteer leadership is essential to the Y’s success in developing effective responses to pressing social issues,” said Kevin Washington, president and CEO, Y-USA. “I look forward to working with these eight individuals, all of whom bring unique and impressive skills and experiences to our board. What they have in common is a deep commitment to empowering young people and strengthening community.”